Friday, November 27, 2015

How I got my International Driving Permit


In August 2015 when I came back to India, I had few things in mind. One was to get an International driving license so that when I go back to complete my Erasmus+ semester in Austria, I would be able to drive there by myself.

I have my Indian driving licence for light motor vehicles (LMV) issued by Regional Transport Office, Pune. I was under the impression that RTO issues separate international driving license if you want it to be used outside India. However, this is not entirely true. They issue a permit - more like a separate booklet which states that you are an eligible driver in most of the principal languages in the world. Honestly it was kind of a turn off when I first saw that ugly looking permit. It seemed that it was printed in government press run inside the Yerawada central prison. Nevertheless, it was going to serve an important purpose - letting me drive on serene Austrian landscape and limitless German Autobahns.

How to Apply -
If you have a valid license already, getting international driving permit is not a big deal. In Pune RTO it's a hassle of 1 day.. Technically.
The information desk in the RTO mentions that if you have your documents ready, you can have the permit within one working day. However, the clerks do not surprise you making sure that it will take a week. So, remember, apply at least 10 days before your scheduled departure.

Information regrading the IDP on the automated help desk at the Pune RTO


To apply for the permit you will need -

1. Form for IDP which you can get inside the RTO premises for free or from the Xerox shop at Rs.5.
2. Four photographs.
3. Photocopy of your existing driving licence.
4. Photocopy of your Passport's first and last page.
5. Photocopy of Visa page.
6. Medical certificate from MBBS doctor stating you are healthy and in condition to drive/ operate heavy machinery. (It's not mentioned on the info desk, but they asked for it when I went there to verify the documents.)
7. Rs. 500 as processing fees.

Receipt I got from RTO office.
Once you complete the form and have the documents, you will have to get it assessed personally by a senior police officer in the RTO office block C, who will assess the application. He might ask you few questions. The officer who asked me questions was strict but when he heard that I am doing my masters, softened his tone and signed the application without any problem. Depending on the rush on that day, you may have to wait upto 30-40 minutes in the queue. Better go early in the morning.

Then I went to the pay the processing fees and finally submitted my signed application and the payment receipt to a clerk in the same block C of the RTO office. He asked me to come after 7 days. He gave me receipt which I should bring the next time I come in the office. I politely asked that the info center has mentioned that the permit can be collected in a single working day to which he indifferently replied that I had to come 7 days later. I didn't argue. I rationalized it with the thought that these guys must have hundreds of applications every day.



Things to notice -
A. International driving permit has validity for 1 year. Make sure that you have your license validity for the entire period of your stay abroad. If your license is expiring in next 6 months they will allocate the permit for only 6 months not the whole year. In my case I have LMV type or license. It was expiring in Feb 2016. So, I got permit till that only.

Inside of the IDP
B. There are many agents outside the RTO who will gather around you. No need to go to anyone. This is fairly easy process and you can do it yourself. The officer who signed my application was very rude to the agents. He seemed like an honest man and even scolded some agents there.

C. The processing fee payment counter closes at 2.30 PM. So, it's better you go in the morning. Get the documents verified and pay the fees. I missed this time once and had to come the next day.

D. Depending on which region of India you are applying for the IDP, the required documents list might change a bit. So, get additional information beforehand. Check sources like Quora or website of the RTO in your state.

Hacks - 
To get a medical certificate from MBBS doctor it might cost you Rs.100-300. I saved the hassle by attaching the medical copy which I had acquired at the time of my admissions. Be creative.

Conclusion-
It's fairly easy to get International Driving Permit which is good for short stays at abroad (Upto 1 year). I got my permit however I am still waiting to experience my first drive here in Austria. I hope the day will come soon enough.


_*_


6 comments:

  1. I applied for IDL at RTO, Bangalore, for I lived in Tokyo for long time and as my Tokyo License had expired during my stay here. Though I got the IDL from RTO Bangalore, since there was no clause mentioned of 'Issued in conformity to Geneva convention of Motor vehicle act of 19 Sept 1949' the IDL was invalid in Tokyo, Japan. When Mandatorily act stipulates that clause should be stated on the IDL, why they don't mention it.The IDL issued in other States mention the clause clearly.If the clause is not printed atlest RTO must endorse and impress their stamp issue the IDL. What is the use in taking so much trouble to get it spending money and time?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi V.S.

      Thank you for sharing this information. Most of the times there is no way to know such nuances of any permit/ document beforehand. We can just hope that the authorities would give us a complete set. The whole idea of this blog is to share such experiences and make our people more aware of what things they exactly need before starting the lengthy and hectic process of acquiring a document in our system.
      Thanks again for your comment.

      Delete
  2. does the idp includes arabic aslo , cause i am tavelling to ksa will the idp valid over there?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi,

      I am 90 percent sure that Arabic was one of the many language in the IDP I got from Pune RTO. Depending upon the region it may vary. I will confirm by checking the document tomorrow. Will let you know.
      Thanks for your comment though.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thankyou for sharing such as great article. Apply for Soft Copy if you need an IDP Immediately.
    international driving permit uk

    ReplyDelete